Friday, April 30, 2010

Charcter Traits

Here are some character traits that I was often called:

Brave- Many people thought I was brave because I didn't get off the white train when a conductor was trying to force me to. I refused to get out of my seat and eventually bit the conductor who had tried to grab me. He stormed away and went looking for help. The three men helping him yanked me out of my seat, ripping my linen coat. At the next station, I got off the train because I was not going to go to the smoking car.

Literate-
I was a very gifted writer. People read my newspaper articles I wrote, expressing my beliefs about segregation. All over the nation, my writing was viewed. Therefore, I was described as literate.

Passionate-
. In my writing, I stuck up for my beliefs. For example, a colored women was arrested and murdered without a fair trial. When I heard of this, I wrote in an article defending my point of view that there wasn't much evidence against the black women. People saw this type of writing as passionate.

Mature- I was described as mature because of what happened when my parents died. I was 16 when this occurred and was left with my five younger siblings to nurture. Many think this responsibility took maturity from me.

Independent-
I was called this because I didn't want to marry. The reason was that I didn't want to loose my independence. I also wanted black people to be independent and not bossed around.

2 comments:

  1. I had a school assignment on Ida, and I thought this really helped, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. i havev a eulgyon ida b wells and this is helping

    ReplyDelete