Friday, April 30, 2010

Special and Interesting Facts


I lived a very interesting and eventful life. Some things were good, and some things were not. First off, my colored friend, Tom Moss, was lynched for defending himself with a gun. This had happened when he had started a grocery store business with some other colored men. Black customers started to shop at his store instead of the white grocer's. The white grocer became angry when this happened and wanted Tom's business to end. It ended when the store was attacked by a white mob, and Tom fired at them with his friends. They were arrested without fair trial and murdered. This news shocked me, for I knew Tom would never commit a crime.

Another fact you should know about me is that I wanted the world to see the truth. Most blacks during my time were scared to see and speak the truth, but I dared them to. I would settle for no less then fair treatment and justice. Determination is what kept me from letting white threats from bothering me. It was challenging, but I just put in as much effort as I could. That was all I could do.

The last thing you should know about me is that I was good friends with Susan B. Anthony, who gave strong efforts towards getting women the right to vote. She also spoke out against slavery which often crossed paths with me. Susan was a dear friend of mine, even though we didn't always agree on things. For instance, Susan did not invite a black leader, Frederick Douglass, to a convention because she did not want to offend Southern women with him being there. I thought it was wrong for her not to invite him.

No comments:

Post a Comment